Homosexual Heaven



I ended the facetime with my best friend and sighed. How was I to tell her the truth? I know she wouldn’t mind, but how can I tell her when she’s halfway across the world from me?

‘I might have a date.’ I had said. Her eyes widen and she asks, ‘Who’s the guy?’ I roll my eyes. Of course, she would ask me who’s the guy and not the girl.

It’s 2037 and everybody’s convinced that we can’t fall in love with the opposite sex. And to think, years ago our ancestors thought just the opposite. I sit under a tree and play our conversation in my head once again.

‘I’m surprised you landed a guy, I mean you have no game.’ She laughs as she stuffs her face with that brown ice cream she likes, choco-something is the flavour apparently.

‘Just because you landed a girl doesn’t mean you have any game. Technically, if we think about it, she landed you not the other way around.’ I stick my tongue out.

‘Talking about her landing me, we broke up.’ She says with the most monotonous voice. This time it was my eyes’ turn to bulge out, ‘What? Why? When? Where? How?’

Her nose scrunches as she replies, ‘She landed another girl.’ She then breaks into a grin, ‘Guess that’s why we’re best friends; both of us have no game.’

I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. I had called her to tell her that I had a date with a girl, not for me to find out that she’d just broken up with her girlfriend. They really were one of those couples that end up together. And what did she mean by she landed another girl? I couldn’t tell her anything after I heard this news and now, she thinks I asked out a guy.

She’s one of the best, best friends I’ve ever had and she’s also the most open-minded and non-judgemental person I’ve ever met and yet I was afraid to tell her, to tell her I’m homosexual.

‘Hey’ comes a shy voice. She drops down next to me, a little farther than usual. ‘What are you musing about, today?’ She asks as she shakes his head to sway away hair from her eyes. ‘Nothing really, just thinking about our date tonight.’ I smile at her as my brain calls me a liar.

She smiles back, but a sheepish one, ‘About that,’ she pauses, ‘I don’t think I can make it tonight.’ She says as she looks down twiddling her fingers. ‘Something came up?’  I ask as I turn my face away from her. My eyes gaze over the afternoon sky as I try to hide the hurt in them from her.

‘I-‘ She starts but gets interrupted by someone. A girl walks up to her and says, ‘How about we order pizza and not Chinese this time?’ She blushes and replies, ‘Anything you like, sweets.’

And that’s when I realise what this is about. She’s straight.

She looks at me as the other girl skips away, ‘I- I’m sorry. I just don’t swing that way. I-I’m into girls. I know I shouldn’t have lead you on, I-I just wanted to know what it felt like to be – a- a homosexual. I’m sorry, I’m straight and I can’t lie about who I am.’

I give a defeated laugh as I look at my hands that have turned a slight shade of green due to my constant pulling of grass. ‘You’ll find a girl, surely. And the world is getting more and more open-minded now. They are trying to understand that people of the opposite genders can fall in love too. In no time they’ll accept homosexuality.’ Those were the last words she says as she walks away.

My mind goes back to the thought that’s always wandered at the back of it.

Maybe it’s in the word.


Perhaps there can never really be a homosexual heaven.

Taken from Google Images

Comments